Thursday 1 December 2011

Trip to York and working for disney-winkel.nl :D


Dear reader,

Just a quick update before I go to York tomorrow. I am really sorry for neglecting my weblog, but I have been insanely busy (as always I suppose haha). I have been doing nothing but reading as I have to keep up with my tutorial, Inventing the Self course and had to do the research for my MA thesis proposal. In combination with 16 hours of work a week and spending time with my fiance (I don’t want to neglect him! T_T) you can imagine what my life has been like for the past few weeks. And as I did not experience anything exciting I thought it would be rather pointless to write an update… Unless people love to hear me whine about how stressed out I was etc. :P But I really doubt that. In the meantime I have finished the draft of my MA thesis proposal, so I have a bit more (though not that much) time at my disposal.
However, I have a quite a few things to blog about today. 


First of all, of course, my trip to York. I will be going with my best friend (I’m so happy I don’t have to go alone! haha). Our plain to Manchester will leave at 12.10 at Schiphol airport. The flight will take approx. 1,5 hours, after which we will have to travel to York by train, which will take about 2 hours as well. So we will arrive at the B&B at around 3 or 4 o’clock (depending on how long it takes us to clear customs). So that will leave us some time to actually go into town to one of the Christmas markets. :D

The next day we will be going to the symposium held at the University of York called ‘The Materials of Mourning: Death, Materiality and Memory in Victorian Britain. The symposium take place from 10 till 6, so we won’t have to worry about not having anything to do hahaha. Please follow the link if you would like to view the program and conference site: http://www.york.ac.uk/modernstudies/conferences/mourning/

I will make sure to blog a report in which I discuss some of the papers that I found the most interesting, as I did with the conference in Birmingham. ;) So please look forward to that.

The next day we are planning to leave York quite early in the morning so we can go to the Manchester Christmas Market; the best Christmas Market in the UK. I’m sooo excited!!!! Hopefully I will be able to find some really great Christmas presents there! :D The only downside is that we have to be at the airport quite early, since our plain will be leaving at 17.35. On the other hand, I am sure our feet won’t mind getting some rest haha.

And I have some other exciting news! Well, at least, it’s exciting for me haha. I have been asked by www.disney-winkel.nl to help them at the Huishoudbeurs (household fair) in the RAI (a rather big hall in Amsterdam) from February 18-26. As a big Disney fan I’m absolutely chuffed! ß Yes this made me realize that I might possibly be too big of a Disney fan (not sure though haha!). And the best thing: they will be paying me with gift vouchers! So yes, I have definitely something to look forward to in February!

Well that’s it for now my trusty readers! ;) I will be back soon with a post filled with Christmas spirit!... And with Victorian death and mourning. :P Yes even I find this an awkward combination haha!

Love,

Blacky

0 comments: